In psychology, it is said that for a person to form a new habit can take as little as 28 days. Without doubt, the pandemic has caused an irreversible change in the public’s behavior; as a survey conducted by the Zhongyang Research Institute 1 (众言研究院) reveals, from a sample size of 1,000 respondents, the average number of days spent at home before and after COVID-19 has increased significantly from 3.4 to 13.1 days. As people are spending more time at home, they start looking at ideas that can enhance the home experience, making fragrance products red-hot.
According to research from Euromonitor International 2, the world’s leading independent provider of strategic market research, while the pandemic is bringing down the global sales of high-end perfumes, it also causes a surge in the sales of home fragrance products. And this trend is expected to last, which explains why many well-known perfume brands such as Byredo, Le Labo, and Loewe are working on extending their product line to the home fragrance market.
“Home scent has been a strong performer all year… all of that’s really tied to the fact that we are more homebound than ever.” 3
- Larissa Jensen, vice president and beauty industry advisor for market researcher The NPD Group
With the global home fragrance market size expected to reach USD 27.63 billion by 20274, marketers of any consumer-facing brands should find this an excellent opportunity for integrating their product offerings into their customers' home.
Naturally extend your brand experience to the customer's home
The sense of smell is the most sensitive among our five senses, and is also the most tied with memory. As studies show, people are 100 times more likely to remember what they smell over what they see, hear or touch 4; branded fragrance products are therefore an ideal choice for any brands wanting to establish an emotional relationship with their customers to deepen brand impressions and trigger brand memories. A good example is the hotel industry. Plenty of five-star hotels have a signature scent, which guests can recall vividly even after a long period of time. Many hotels are smart enough to further develop their scent into merchandise, allowing guests to rekindle their feelings and memories associated with the hotel after returning home — cosy space, top-notch service, pure relaxation — all the values your brand represent are reproduced in the form of fragrance at the customer’s home.
For more than 25 years, ScentAir has been helping global brands such as Marriott Hotels to create signature scents that their guests love, enjoy and recognize, paving the path to the development of branded fragrance products that customers are more than happy to pay for. We have hence produced fragrance products for these brands, with branded logos or without, for gifting or retail purposes, allowing customers to take home their on-site experience with the brand while creating a new revenue stream for the brand. For years, many brands have been able to maximize their return-on-investment (ROI) in scent marketing with this strategy, benefiting both their brand and their customers.
“Online stores are getting as much attention as the hotel website where you plan and book your room reservations.” 5
- Henry Harteveldt, a travel industry analyst and founder of the Atmosphere Research Group
Deliver your unique brand message with a fitting fragrance product
Home fragrance products can enhance the atmosphere of indoor environments and make people relax. Designed to blend in well with your home, they are also pleasing to the eyes, and are often seen as an art that becomes a part of the home decoration and lifestyle. By now, you should have understood the merits of fragrance as a corporate gift or retail product, but out of the many options we have, which product is the right choice for you? Every brand has their own story and a message that they want to deliver, and your choice of products should be a reflection of that.
Delivers a feeling of elegance for your brand, ideal for the living room, and can add a touch of luxury to an indoor space.
- The reed sticks will absorb the fragrance oils that are kept inside the glass jar and the fragrance will slowly be released from the reed sticks into the room space.
- For reed sticks to diffuse better, the reeds should be turned upside down every week or so to ensure good absorption of fragrance.
- The reach of scent from the reed diffusers is not far, but it gives a consistent yet subtle scent, making it very ideal for small space like a bedroom or small office.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets to avoid any spillage.
Delivers a feeling of simplicity for your brand, ideal for the entrance or inside of the bathroom; adjust the mood with just a spray.
- If you want a stronger smell, you can spray more frequently to fill the room.
- Once a mist is infused into the air, you can experience the scent instantly and mists tend to hang in the air for quite some time.
- Be sure not to spray the mist onto finished countertop or furniture as fragrance may stain the surface.
Delivers a feeling of warmth for the brand, with the flickering flame making an ordinary day feel like a special occasion.
- Once lit, it takes a while for a good quality candle to melt and spread the scent into the space and the fragrance will linger for hours until the candle flame is distinguished.
- It is recommended not to burn any candle for more than 4 hours and remove any residue whenever you ignite the candle to keep a clean burning.
- Due to the inflammable nature, never leave a burning candle unattended and always place it in a safe spot around the room.
Delivers a feeling of tenderness for your brand, ideal for a small space, and can be hidden away easily but does also good if placed in a prominent spot.
- It is liquid free, so you do not have to worry about spillage.
- Depending on the size of the room, you can place as many scented sticks as you wish for the right amount of fragrance to immerse it.
- You can place the scented sticks in a vase and the scent will last for weeks. Whenever the scent is gone, you can always replace the sticks to boost the scent level.
Delivers a feeling of care for your brand, ideal for small spaces like inside a closet or a car.
- They are self-contained bags that can retain the aroma of high-quality fragrance for up to a week.
- Available in a wide variety of ScentAir fragrances with the flexibility for you to choose a matching fragrance for special events or seasons throughout the year.
Delivers a feeling of eco-friendliness for your brand, suitable to be carried around to scent spaces such as your desk, the cabinet at a retail store, or fitting rooms.
- Holes on a scented charm will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and diffuse the fragrance.
- To diffuse the fragrance, there is no need for fire or electricity, but just a few drops of the fragrance oil on the scented charm.
- This can be used repeatedly and is more environmentally friendly than such products as candles and diffusers.
- Small sized, and easy to carry for use on vacation or business trips.
Delivers a feeling of exquisiteness for your brand, with just a few drops of fragrance oil to scent the space.
- Simply add a few drops of fragrance oil to your oil burner, charm ornament or plaster flowers to scent the environment.
- Small sized and easy to carry around.
Seize the opportunity to extend your brand experience to your customer’s home. Contact us today for details on branded or non-branded fragrance products!
1. 马一鸣 (2020-10-30), 消费的B面｜被疫情改变的消费习惯与消费需求, 澎湃新聞, https://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_6381104
2. (2020-10-30) 市场报告 | 家用香氛市场呈长线增长趋势, 中国轻工业信息网, http://www.clii.com.cn/qgxp/202010/t20201030_3946934.html
3. Melissa Pepko (2020, Dec 6). Homebound shoppers are finding comfort in scented candles, home fragrances this holiday season. CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/06/holiday-2020-shoppers-finding-comfort-i…
4. Home Fragrance Market Size, Share & COVID-19 Impact Analysis, By Product Type [Candles (Unscented and Scented), Room Sprays, Reed Diffusers, Essential Oils, and Incense Sticks], and Distribution Channel (Online and Offline), and Regional Forecast, 2020-2027. https://www.fortunebusinessinsights.com/home-fragrance-market-102422
5. Pawaskara P., Goel M. Dr (2014). A Conceptual Model: Multisensory Marketing and Destination Branding. Procedia Economics and Finance, Volume 11, 2014, Pages 255-267
6. Elspeth Velten (2019, Mar 20). Love Your Hotel Room? Take a Piece of It Home. The New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/travel/shop-hotel-rooms-boutiques-re…